My name is Ed Sheffield and I am running for Santa Rosa City School Board. As the father of two, I want to be an active participant in their education by shaping policies that will insure the best environment for students, families, teachers and our community.
For over a decade, I have represented federal, state, and local officials and dedicated my career to improving the health and well-being of Sonoma County. Prior to my work in government, I served as an AmeriCorps member working to secure funding for afterschool programs that tutored and mentored disadvantaged youth in Sonoma County’s most underserved schools.
For the past seven years, I have served on Sonoma County’s Maternal, Child and Adolescent Advisory Board. As a member of this body, I work alongside health professionals, agency representatives, and school personnel to coordinate health services for children, mothers and families.
Since 2010, I have been an appointed member of Santa Rosa’s Measure O Citizen Oversight Committee, monitoring expenditures of the quarter-cent sales tax revenue for enhancing public safety throughout the City. As an advocate for open spaces, healthy communities, and environmental stewardship, I have worked with Sonoma County Conservation Action as a board member since 2013.
For three years, I served on the board of directors of North Coast Children’s Services, a Humboldt County-based nonprofit serving low-income families with preschool and kindergarten-age education through Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
My additional community activities include:
- Policy Advisor for Sonoma County’s Child Care Planning Council
- City of Santa Rosa Mayor’s Gang Prevention Task Force (Now Santa Rosa Violence Prevention Partnership)
- City of Santa Rosa Graffiti Abatement Team
After receiving a Bachelor’s degree in History from Western Washington University, I specialized in public policy and political science while earning a Masters in Public Administration from Sonoma State University.
Dedicated to Serving Our Community
I have an extensive history of public service and working to represent our community’s interests. My service includes:
- Sonoma County Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health Advisory Board (2009-Present)
- Santa Rosa's Measure O Citizen Oversight Committee (2009-present)
- Sonoma County Child Care Planning Council, representing state legislative officials (2010-present)
- City of Santa Rosa Mayor’s Gang Prevention Task Force (Rosa Santa Violence Prevention Partnership) (2006-2012)
- Sonoma County Conservation Action Board of Directors, Treasurer (2013-present)
- California Democratic Party, State Executive Board (2007-2009)
- Sonoma County Young Democrats, Campaign Director (2007-2008)
- Press Democrat/New York Times Leadership Forum (2007)
- AmeriCorps Member
- North Coast Children's Services Head Start/Early Head Start Programs Board of Directors (2001-2003)